The California House recently passed a bill outlawing reparative therapy for youth under the age of 18. The Senate is set to vote in coming days. With the media abuzz, we have had numerous calls from news reporters across the country, asking for our opinion and position. Many others have simply mischaracterized Exodus International as a reparative therapy organization. One such instance was a newscast on an ABC affiliate in San Francisco. The reporter stated that our “members now live heterosexual lives—many with spouses and kids—because of reparative therapy”. We have written this statement to clarify our ministry objective which highlights the mission of Exodus International.
Exodus International supports an individual’s right to self-determine as they address their personal struggles related to faith, sexuality and sexual expression. As an organization, we do not subscribe to therapies that make changing sexual orientation a main focus or goal. Our ministry’s objective is to equip the Church to become the primary place where people of faith seek support, refuge and discipleship as they make the decision to live according to Christian principles.
We believe in a “gospel-centric” view, meaning that all people, regardless of individual life struggles, can experience freedom over the power of sin through a daily relationship with Jesus Christ, a commitment to scripture, and by being a part of a vibrant, transparent and relational community of believers found in the local church. Exodus is partnered with more than 260 churches and support-based ministries who serve individuals and families experiencing a conflict between their faith and sexuality.
- The Ex-Gay Myth: “Exchanging God’s Truth For a Lie” (queeringthechurch.com)
- Exodus International Cancels Ex-Gay Conference (lezgetreal.com)
- An Interesting Development at Exodus and a Tension for Christian Ministries (psychologyandchristianity.wordpress.com)
- Defining Exodus: A Letter from Alan Chambers (psychologyandchristianity.wordpress.com)
- Dennis Jernigan Resigns Exodus International Board (randythomas.co)
- You Can’t Pray the Gay Away (seanphilpott.wordpress.com)
- California may ban gay teen ‘conversion’ therapy (hosted.ap.org)
- Anderson Cooper On The Costs Of ‘Reparative’ Therapy: VIDEO (towleroad.com)