In a new book, Father Bernard Lynch, a gay Catholic priest who has incurred the wrath of the Vatican for his views supporting LGBT Catholics, not only says he is non-celibate; he reveals that he has been married to a man for the past 14 years, and has officiated over the weddings of many gay and lesbian Catholic couples.
The Vatican, he says, is trying to “get rid” of him, while he has been operating a counseling program for closeted gay priests in London since 1992.
Lynch, who has been a Catholic priest for 40 years, left for London from New York in the early 90s, after he was completely cleared of charges related to child abuse allegations made by a man who recanted his story and whom court testimony showed to be a pathological liar. The scandal had Father Lynch at the center of a media firestorm. He believes to this day that right-wing Catholic groups and now-deceased Cardinal O’Connor of New York, angry at his advocacy on behalf of LGBT people and people with AIDS, were behind his trumped up indictment. He had previously gained awards for his AIDS advocacy from politicians and AIDS activists, while local church officials and the Vatican became concerned about his advocacy.
via Huffington Post.
- Psychologist: “Catholic clergy need therapy”
- Gay Priests, Creeping Out of the Closet.
- “From the Belly of the Whale”: A Gay Priest Speaks.
- “From the Belly of the Whale”: Telling My Story
- From the Belly of the Whale: Coming Out Stories (or “Where are you?”)
- In the Eye of the Storm
- The Real Scandal of the “Miami Gay Priests’ Cabal”
- Gay,Celibate Catholic Priests: Mychal Judge, and Fred Daley.
- On Being a Catholic Lesbian at Georgetown University (queerchurchnews.wordpress.com)
- New documentary depicts Jesuit’s struggle for LGBT rights (queerchurchnews.wordpress.com)
- Committing the Sin of Honesty (queerchurchnews.wordpress.com)