While in London, England, for World Pride, I was blessed to be able to attend one of the Soho Masses, sponsored here by the Archdiocese of Westminster (London) for the LGBT community. It was a beautiful service filled with a great spirit of hospitality and solidarity.
Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St. Gregory
The Masses are held on the first and third Sundays of the month, 5:00 pm, at the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption & St. Gregory, Warwick Street, in the Soho neighborhood of London, which is the center of the LGBT community. When I attended yesterday, the church was packed, with what I estimated to be about 125 people.
The community gathered for liturgy was amazingly diverse in terms of age, gender, race and ethnicity. At the social hour afterward, even I, as a newcomer, was made to feel very welcome by people I had never met, and who did not know that I was a foreign visitor.
The Soho Masses are clearly doing the work of God here in London, not only providing a welcome to the ostracized, but providing an opportunity for people to be of service to one another and to the church and the world. If you visit London, you should be sure to schedule a visit for one of these wonderful liturgies. For more information, click here.
- ALL ARE WELCOME: Next Steps in London (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)
- London prepares for World Pride (queerchurchnews.wordpress.com)
- LGBT Ministry: A Mustard Seed Begins to Sprout. (queeringthechurch.com)
- Faith at (World) Pride: London, 2012 (queeringthechurch.com)
- New Ways Ministry to Participate in World Pride Celebration in London (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)
- Christians Together at (World) Pride. (queeringthechurch.com)
- For the Season of Pride – Visit the Smaller Centres (queeringthechurch.com)
- WorldPride London ‘Scaling Back,’ And Participants Aren’t Happy About It (towleroad.com)