This weekend, organized contingents of Mormons marched in LGBT pride parades in 8 cities, from New York to Santiago de Chile, marking the high point in an historic season in LDS LGBT history that began with the Mormons Building Bridges Parade in Salt Lake City on June 3.
In Seattle, the Mormons for Marriage Equality contingent counted 55 marchers at the beginning of the Pride parade. As the group made its way down the parade path, an additional 20 Mormons left the sidelines to join, repeating scenes witnessed in Washington, DC, when the parade route became a site for reunions between active Mormons and gay Mormons long estranged from the faith community.
In New York City, 50 gay Mormons and allies marched behind the banner of Affirmation, the nation’s oldest Mormon LGBT group. Some held signs quoting a verse from the Book of Mormon: “All are alike unto God.” Nineteen LDS marchers held the Affirmation banner in Houston, as did an estimated 100 LDS LGBT and allied marchers in Santiago de Chile.
The largest contingent of the weekend gathered in San Francisco, where more than 100 LDS people gathered to march behind the Mormons for Marriage Equality banner, winning the parade’s award for “Absolutely Outrageous” contingent. Mitch Mayne, who is openly gay and holds a leadership position in his San Francisco LDS congregation, offered an opening prayer for the group. “I felt prompted to ask our Father to bless us with the capacity to be ambassadors of His unconditional love,” said Mayne.
-full report by Joanna Brooks at Religion Dispatches
- Mormons Marching in Gay Pride Events (queerchurchnews.wordpress.com)
- Mormons Take Even More Activist Message to DC Pride March (religiondispatches.org)
- Mormons Prepare to March in LGBT Pride Parades Nationwide (religiondispatches.org)
- Mormons March In NYC Pride Parade (lezgetreal.com)
- Breaking from Their Church, Mormons March in Seattle’s Gay Pride Parade (slog.thestranger.com)
- A Big Gay Yay” for the Catholics (The Wild Reed)
- A Catholic Presence at Gay Pride (The Wild Reed)